Essential reading for those that care about parrots
Our review» of The Tacoma News Tribune's November 9, 2008 article on Mira Tweti, bringing us back to the situation in Pierce County, WA.
Alex is the proof: Parrots deserve protection
with Tacoma News Tribune reader's comments. Our followup and commentary» to the August 21, 2007 Pierce County Council meeting in the light of the lessons we should all learn from Alex's life and untimely passing.
Hopes…and Lives, Lost
A new witness account» of conditions observed at
the Scudders' breeding facility.
|OverviewChronologyNews ArticlesDocumentsCourt CaseNecropsy ReportsFeeding Time
Court Documents from the Scudder vs. Gallawa Case
For those willing to put in the time and effort, the case of Scudder
(Parrot Depot) vs. Gallawa—and what is said or at times remains
unsaid—clears away the rhetoric and provides the opportunity to
objectively study the intentions and agendas of all its participants.
Appearing for the Plaintiff,
- Martha Scudder
- Robert Vincent
- Leslie Swalley
- Julie Corwin
- Liane Sperlich DVM
- Joe Longo
- Brian Speer DVM Diplomate ABVP, ECAMS
- Laura Desborough
Plaintiff's Claims Dismissed
Appearing for the Defendant,
- Larry Gallawa
- Kathryn Phillips (Scudder)
- Robin A. Scudder
- Dr. Stewart Metz
- Tracy Bennett DVM Diplomate ABVP
Summary Judgement Granted in Favor of the Defendant
Superior Court of Washington in and for King
Martha Scudder, Plaintiff vs. Larry Gallawa, Defendant,
We have placed the declarations of Martha Scudder and Robert Vincent
first, as they most clearly state the Parrot Depot position in the case.
Look for comments in blue and
highlighted areas of interest.
The remaining documents in the Record follow chronologically.
We have dated them to the best of our ability. Nearly all are annotated regarding key points.
- Deposition upon Oral Examination of Martha Jean Scudder, Volume 1, January 12, 2005—we meet Martha Scudder in all her inconsistencies (PDF FILE, 240 KB)
- Deposition upon Oral Examination of Martha Jean Scudder, Volume 2, January 13, 2005—Martha Scudder denies all allegations of abuse even when confronted with the slow suffocation by smoke of numerous rare parrots (PDF FILE, 82 KB)
- Deposition upon Oral Examination of Kathryn Phillips (Scudder), Volume 1, January 13, 2005—Martha Scudder's daughter-in-law describes chaos, disease, parrots in the garbage, and taco makers in the bird nursery, at Parrot Depot (PDF FILE, 222 KB)
- Deposition upon Oral Examination of Kathryn Phillips (Scudder), Volume 2, February 3, 2005 (PDF FILE, 403 KB)
- Declaration of Larry Gallawa in Support of His Motion for Summary Judgment, April 6, 2005—his motivations having often been maligned, Mr. Gallawa discusses his reasons for seeking changes at Scudder Parrot Depot and in Pierce County ordinances (PDF FILE, 38 KB)
- Declaration of Stewart Metz, M.D., in Support of Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgement, April 6, 2005—Dr. Metz reviews all the evidence in the case, including all the necropsies, and concludes that, "The Scudder Aviary was run in a pervasively substandard way of such a degree as to suggest the presence of multiple examples of animal abuse." (PDF FILE, 88 KB)
- Declaration of Robin A. Scudder, April 6, 2005—"No animal should have to live in the conditions I witnessed at Bob Vincent’s and Martha Scudder’s farm." (PDF FILE, 65 KB)
- Defendant Gallawa's Motion for Summary Judgment, April 6, 2005 (image—large file!) (PDF FILE, 6253 KB)
- Declaration of Tracy Bennett DVM Diplomate ABVP - Avian Specialty in Support of Defendant Gallawa's Opposition to Plaintiff's Motion to Continue the Trial and Defendant's Motion for Summary Judgment, May 4, 2005—this Avian Board-certified veterinarian inspected Scudder Parrot Depot and concluded that the failure to provide even the most basic requirements for parrots led to an extremely high mortality rate at Scudder Parrot Depot
- Declaration of Tracy Bennett DVM Diplomat ABVP - Avian Specialty in Support of Defendant Gallawa's Motion for Summary Judgment, May 18, 2005—Dr. Bennett characterizes Parrot Depot to be an "animal neglect situation" and concludes—countering Martha Scudder's contentions—"It is my understanding that Mrs. Scudder's claim is that her birds failed to breed due to the 3 inspections by animal control (2 including myself). As an avian veterinarian, I declare this is a fabrication."
- Declaration of Larry Gallawa in Opposition to Plaintiff's Motion to Continue the Trial and Gallawa's Motion for Summary Judgment, May 18, 2005—please make sure to read the Editors' tribute to Mr. Gallawa in the comments section (PDF FILE, 137 KB)
- Declaration of Laurella Desborough, Legislative Vice-President and Past President of the American Federation of Aviculture (AFA). Co-founder of the Model Aviculture Program. Legislative Chairman, Organization of Professional Aviculturists. Aviculturist., August 4, 2005—Ms. Desborough trots out her stump speech against Animal Rights "terrorists"; the Editors compare her statements to the evidence at hand and dissect thoroughly (PDF FILE, 257 KB)
- Declaration of Joe Longo, August 4, 2005—Mr. Longo recalls his friendship with the "internationally renowned" Martha Scudder starting in the 1980's and decries the "vicious lies" about her (PDF FILE, 438 KB)
- Declaration of Leslie Swalley, Administrative Assistant to Councilman Dick Muri, Pierce County Council,, August 4, 2005—councilman Dick Muri sides with Martha Scudder and Robert Vincent without doing so officially as his personal assistant, with no avian qualifications, testifies in their favor (PDF FILE, 461 KB)
- Declaration of Liane Sperlich, DVM, Veterinarian at Browns Point Veterinary, Inspector for Pierce County Health Department Inspection of Scudder Farm, August 5, 2005—a non-random sampling of 10 birds fails to show psittacosis; scientifically, this is by no means any proof of flock health (PDF FILE, 246 KB)
- Declaration of Julie Corwin, Owner of Bird Lovers Connection, A Washington State licensed business, August 5, 2005—Ms. Corwin, a broker for Martha Scudder's birds, blames Mr. Gallawa for the woes at Parrot Depot (PDF FILE, 923 KB)
- Declaration of Dr. Brian Speer, DVM, Diplomate ABVP, ECAMS, August 15, 2005, an object lesson in how to give expert testimony, avoiding the truth while telling no lie; a world recognized veterinarian whitewashes over 100 (reported) parrot cadavers and ignores nearly every principle and practice of avian husbandry he espouses in his own publications (PDF FILE, 166 KB)
- Order Granting Summary Judgment, summary (as in "summarily") judgment granted in favor of defendant Larry Gallawa, dismissing both of Martha Scudder's claims, judgment issued by Hon. Nicole McInnes, August 24, 2005 (text as graphics, large file!) (PDF FILE, 3402 KB)
- Case No.: 05-2-24207-8 SEA, Gallawa vs. Humane Society, Society for Tacoma and Pierce County, Amended Complaint for Violation of Public Disclosure Act, Larry Gallawa is forced to sue the Pierce County Humane Society under the Freedom of Information Act when they refuse to release information which should have legally been available to anyone for the asking—for those who read the news story that Larry Gallawa was awarded $10,000 in this case, he donated proceeds to four rescue organizations (PDF FILE, 249 KB)