Essential reading for those that care about parrots
Our review» of The Tacoma News Tribune's November 9, 2008 article on Mira Tweti, bringing us back to the situation in Pierce County, WA.
Alex is the proof: Parrots deserve protection
with Tacoma News Tribune reader's comments. Our followup and commentary» to the August 21, 2007 Pierce County Council meeting in the light of the lessons we should all learn from Alex's life and untimely passing.
Hopes…and Lives, Lost
A new witness account» of conditions observed at
the Scudders' breeding facility.
|OverviewChronologyNews ArticlesDocumentsCourt CaseNecropsy ReportsFeeding Time
Documentation Pertaining to Parrot Depot
Look for comments in blue and
highlighted areas of interest.
Arranged chronologically with the most recent document appearing first.
- Hopes…and Lives, Lost, a new witness account of conditions observed at the Scudders' breeding facility (PDF FILE, 133 KB) [ 2007]
- When Speling Doesn't Really Matter: In Praise of Larry Gallawa, Triumphant at Last, REMEMBERING LARRY GALLAWA: Larry Gallawa passed away October 2, 2006 after a long, difficult struggle with cancer. The Editorial Board of PARROTPROTECTION.ORG would like to thank Dr. Stewart Metz for allowing us to reproduce his eulogy to Larry on this site. (PDF FILE, 139 KB) [ 2006]
- TAKING THE MORAL LOW ROAD ON THE PIERCE COUNTY COUNCIL: Special Interests, Indifference to Suffering, and "Olympian" Inaction, the Editorial Board examines the dynamics of avian regulation in Pierce County and finds decisions taken based on personal, not public, interests bolstered by gross misrepresentations from national bird breeder industry organizations (PDF FILE, 215 KB) [ 2006]
- Complaint of Frances Davidson to Pierce County Sheriff Animal Abuse Department, includes pictures, March 10, 2006—this year—parrots at Parrot Depot were exposed to a temperature of 39ºF at the time, in the mid-afternoon, and which had fallen into the 20's at night with snow and strong wind; the County Sheriff's Office has failed to acknowledge the complaint despite repeated contacts by Ms. Davidson; the abuses continue, and apparently continue to be ignored by those now in charge of preventing animal abuse (the Sheriff's Office has taken over that responsibility from the Humane Society) (PDF FILE, 379 KB) [ 2006]
- PUBLIC MEETING NOTICE regarding PROPOSAL NO. 2004-3s, Pierce County Public Safety & Human Services Committee, Barbara Gelman, Chair—meeting scheduled for February 14, 2006—pigeon fanciers, who would have fallen under regulations, objected strenuously to any flock-related oversight (PDF FILE, 13 KB) [ 2006]
- Re: Proposed addition of aviaries to the existing ordinance regulating dog and cat breeding facilities and pet shops, sent to Pierce County Council by Dr. Tracy Bennett DVM Diplomate ABVP - Avian, advocating a protective ordinance for aviaries, February 11, 2006 [ 2006]
- Humane Society — Steve Pierce, Open Letter, An Open Letter to Our Friends, by Humane Society Executive Director, Steve Pierce, December 20, 2005, advocates licensing and inspection of parrot farms [ 2005]
- Conditions considered cruel—letter to Humane Society, Dr. Tracy Bennett list the conditions she observed at Parrot Depot which would be legally and ethically considered cruel [ 2003]
- Evidence Emails (to Larry Gallawa) re: Psittacosis traceable to Parrot Depot,, describing two separate incidents occurring in 2003—evidence not mentioned by Martha Scudder's expert witnesses during her court case against Larry Gallawa [ 2003]
- Eyewitness account of Parrot Depot, September 17, 2003, Renee Ward's letter to Larry Gallawa describing the abysmal conditions—slime and starved birds—she came across at Parrot Depot (reproduced with her permission) (PDF FILE, 20 KB) [ 2003]
- March, 2003 Parrot Depot inspection correspondence trail, the Humane Society's (Wally Hall) letter—including a copy of Dr. Tracy Bennett's March 7th letter of observations and recommendations—to Martha Scudder, outlining problems; Martha Scudder stonewalls with a and who are you to ask or tell me? legalistic response; Wally Hall responds in detail to Martha (letter images, large file!) (PDF FILE, 1354 KB) [ 2003]
- Summary of observations and recommendations, Tracy Bennett DVM Diplomate ABVP - Avian—An Avian-Board certified vet describes massive problems in her summary of observations and recommendations regarding her visit to the Scudder aviary with Wally Hall of Pierce County Animal Control, sent to Wally Hall, March 7, 2003 [ 2003]
- Observations of Scudder Aviary Visit, statement of Stephanie Beecroft, PAWS Advocacy Department, visit occurred December 19, 2002—one of the first reports to trigger an outcry over conditions at Parrot Depot [ 2002]
- Testimony following letter of complaint filed against Cripple Creek Aviary, Lori Rutledge, documenting her visit of November 18, 2001 for Pierce County Humane Society and Animal Control—Parrot Depot is not the only abusive bird farm in Pierce County [ 2001]
- Birds—Measures to prevent psittacosis (WAC 246-100-201), Washington State law; these measures would apply in general to controling any communicable psittacine disease; additional commentary provided
- Model Aviculture Program (MAP), overview from the www.modelaviculture.org site and comments—the program of responsible avian farm management which prominent aviculturists promulgate as the way to treat breeder birds—and then ignore when hired as an expert witness for Martha Scudder