Essential reading for those that care about parrots
Our review» of The Tacoma News Tribune's November 9, 2008 article on Mira Tweti, bringing us back to the situation in Pierce County, WA.
Alex is the proof: Parrots deserve protection
with Tacoma News Tribune reader's comments. Our followup and commentary» to the August 21, 2007 Pierce County Council meeting in the light of the lessons we should all learn from Alex's life and untimely passing.
Hopes…and Lives, Lost
A new witness account» of conditions observed at
the Scudders' breeding facility.
|OverviewChronologyNews ArticlesDocumentsCourt CaseNecropsy ReportsFeeding Time
News Stories Pertaining to Parrot Depot
Look for comments in blue and
highlighted areas of interest.
Arranged chronologically with the most recent news appearing first.
- Author probes the ways we mistreat parrots, November 9, 2008, The Tacoma News Tribune—Recognition for journalist and author Mira Tweti's passion for parrots. Yet the exploitation by breeders such as Scudder's Parrot Depot continues. Our comments on coverage in the local press and on Bob Vincent's and Martha Scudder's latest business endeavor, Parrotique. [ 2008]
- Alex is the proof: Parrots deserve protection, September 14, 2007, The Tacoma News Tribune—including reader's comments. Our followup and commentary to the August 21, 2007 Pierce County Council meeting in the light of the lessons we should all learn from Alex's life and untimely passing. [ 2007]
- County protects breeders, not birds The Tacoma News Tribune editorial, October 12th, 2006—"We can only hope the majority of individuals appointed to [this commission] happen to be unusually sensitive to the plight of mistreated captive animals. Which is more than we can say right now of the Pierce County Council." [ 2006]
- County will wait on any aviary ruling, October 11th, 2006, Adam Lynn, The Tacoma News Tribune—instead of voting to inspect avian facilities, the Pierce County council votes to continue to inspect the problem for another six months to a year [ 2006]
- Council committee lays an egg on aviary rules, Op-Ed page, The Tacoma News Tribune, August 17th, 2006 [ 2006]
- Panel advises no bird licenses; Instead, County Council committee votes to create advisory commission, August 9th, 2006, Aaron Corvin, The Tacoma News Tribune—Last minute Lee defection sinks Gelman proposal; Muri proposal passed but won't produce results for another year. Readers' comments included, highlighted, and reviewed. [ 2006]
- Proposed aviary ordinance is a welcome first step The Tacoma News Tribune editorial, August 7, 2006—"It’s shameful that Pierce County is still without even basic protections for highly intelligent exotic birds that are sold for prices often in excess of $1,000. The council has had more than enough time to study this issue. It should pass Gelman’s proposal." [ 2006]
- County to hear bird law plans, Public can share thoughts on aviary licensing ordinance proposal, by Mira Tweti, for The Tacoma News Tribune, August 7, 2006—competing proposals and alliances, Gelman-Farrell-Lee involves animal welfare organizations; Muri-Bush does not, and furthermore, constructs a committee where breeders' interests are a majority [ 2006]
- Plans offer oversight of aviaries, July 31st, 2006, Mira Tweti for The Tacoma News Tribune—Dick Muri digs in on the side of breeders, line is clearly drawn between Barbara Gelman and Muri; Bob Vincent doesn't believe he needs to let anyone on Parrot Depot property for inspections [ 2006]
- How two states handled issues raised in Pierce County bird-breeding debate, Mira Tweti, for The Tacoma News Tribune, July 31st, 2006—Colorado and Georgia's approaches to birds and breeders: an inclusive process in Colorado and no wiggle room (just one bird or egg sale and you must be licensed and inspected) in Georgia [ 2006]
- Pierce County takes new look at licenses for bird breeders, the Pierce County Council might consider an ordinance that would require larger bird-breeding facilities to be licensed, by Mira Tweti for The Tacoma News Tribune, July 24, 2006 [ 2006]
- Fine feathered friends deserve protection, too The Tacoma News Tribune editorial page, June 2, 2006 [ 2006]
- Foul play from council in failing to protect birds, The Tacoma News Tribune editorial page, February 18, 2006 [ 2006]
- County aviary regulation measure stalls, Rob Carson, for the The Tacoma News Tribune, February 15, 2006 [ 2006]
- Suit over parrot files nets plaintiff $10,000, Mira Tweti for The Tacoma News Tribune, January 15, 2006 [ 2006]
- Parrots could win protection, Mira Tweti, for the The Tacoma News Tribune, January 15, 2006 (PDF FILE, 93 KB) [ 2006]
- Coverage of aviary based on false information, the The Tacoma News Tribune, December 27, 2005, lawyer Jack J. Maichel takes to the press to bemoan Martha Scudder's unfair trial in the "court of public opinion"—after losing while representing her in court [ 2005]
- Considerable expertise needed to breed birds The Tacoma News Tribune, Inga L. Gibson, Pacific Northwest Field Office The Humane Society of the United States Seattle, December 25th, 2005 (PDF FILE, 12 KB) [ 2005]
- Bird evacuation plan considered,, Mira Tweti, for The Tacoma News Tribune December 23, 2005 [ 2005]
- Birds should get same protection as dogs, cats The Tacoma News Tribune editorial page, December 22, 2005 [ 2005]
- Parrot farm operator calls report incorrect, by Adam Lynn for The Tacoma News Tribune, December 21, 2005, Bob Vincent denies animal mistreatment charges but on advice of attorney declines to offer the press a tour of Parrot Depot. [ 2005]
- Pierce County Council likely to look into bird farms, Mira Tweti, for the The Tacoma News Tribune, December 21, 2005 (PDF FILE, 38 KB) [ 2005]
- Local aviary inspections are possible, Paul Sand, for the The Tacoma News Tribune, December 20, 2005, including several readers comments [ 2005]
- Factory farming approach takes toll, Mira Tweti, for the The Tacoma News Tribune, December 18, 2005 (PDF FILE, 63 KB) [ 2005]
- Parrots in Peril, Mira Tweti, for the The Tacoma News Tribune, full article, December 18, 2005 (PDF FILE, 140 KB) [ 2005]
- Parrots in Peril, as featured on the front page of the The Tacoma News Tribune, December 18, 2005 (PDF FILE, 186 KB) [ 2005]